Monday, January 2, 2012

my new years resolution no.1

LESS TO NO ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION (for real)

This came after I discovered that I have a typical asian genetic deficiency which is the accumulation of Acetaldehyde which may be caused by a missense polymorphism that encodes acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) an enzyme normally responsible for breaking down acetaldehyde (or basically known as alcohol).

I mean I have noticed this reaction for a long time and back then it was worst as I had far more terrible rash than now. But during a new years party, after drinking half a cup of mojito, my face turned red as a paprika instantly and everyone was wondering if i am drunk. The host whom is a medical student told me of such syndrome and the cause. Lastly she even warned me that if more alcohol is taken, this could induced cancer in the long run... OK. this is officially freaking me out.

Ok my alcohol history dated back to when I was 12. My dad and my brother both have the same genes deficiency as me but i think I am the worst among them. When I was 12, my dad taught me to drink red wine and said it was good for health and I was starting to adapt to the taste. As years go by, I started drinking more often especially during my college and bachelor degree times, (the period of teenage rebellious) I was often drinking til I was in bad shape after clubs and parties. Then at the age of 19, I discovered that I have bad allergic, for the first time I had hot and burning rashes that stayed on my chest and neck for 1 week and when it is gone left dead skins peeling everywhere. Clearly, I was not convinced by that as I was perfectly fine all the way since 12 years old. Why now?

So me being teenage stubborn, decided to try again and it occurred each time without fail. I felt sad because I was just about to begin enjoying clubbing sessions and my freedom to drink at a legal age and then this...! So i heard of people with this kind of condition, and some of them even advised me to keep drinking so maybe one day I will get immune to it.

It never worked....

At 22, when I went to Australia for studies, I slowed down on my drinking as instead of having heavy liquor went for wine instead after all I am in Australia the country which produces one of the finest wines. The condition went on but I ignored it compromising by only drinking during occasions.

All this while I never took this seriously thinking maybe it's just something common among Chinese and it will go away eventually. After i found out the truth from wiki, I am ready to give up this life long inconvenience and stick to strict non-alcohol policy because life is too beautiful to be given up for short term pleasure of sinking in alcoholism.



P/s: advice to all other Asians who suffer the same problem as me, think wisely before consuming alcohol if you appreciate life. :)

No comments: