Wednesday, December 1, 2010

When I grow up..

When we were young, we are always asked when we grow up, what is your ambition?

I always came up with crazy ambitions such as forensic pathologist, lawyer, veterinarian, pilot, singer etc. Most of the time, I get all this ideas from movies, books and other people. As I grow older, my ambitions get more and more flickered, i can't even decide.

Until I have to make a decision whether to pursue studies in art or science stream, I know I am one step closer to narrowing down my choices. However, for the safe side I chose science stream. It definitely wasn't because I like studying chemistry, physic or biology. It was more like as an insurance for me in case if I change my mind last minute to art. I studied for the advantage of choosing.

Then, I went to university, I have to deal with my true interest. It was tough and I had to decide. I tried being honest - I hate science. I guess I have to go for art after all.

Okay great. ART- It's such a broad category. I still have to CHOOSE.

So I went for the most ideal art subject - Business. That's how I ended up having a bachelor in business and commerce. Not too bad. I like accounting. I always think that accountants are people who make big money. Definitely the most prospective job among all business and commerce job. Next step, I majored in accounting and econometrics. I find econometrics an easy minor to pull up my grades.

Finally, I am 3/4 done with my Masters of Finance and I could already see what I would be doing in half a year time.

Can you still believe how choices would lead to the shape of your future? Finance was definitely not in my top 10 ambitions when I was young. I can't exactly say finance is my favourite field but I tried. Through the process, I have learnt to like this field as well, and as I proceeded with it I realised this could be one of my passion too.

Despite that, I do see people who were determined to do whatever it takes to be the person they see themselves in when they were 8 or 10 years old. I could truly say that these are people who follows their heart.. I wish I could be like them. Oh well, I am happy with the choices I made and I've never regretted every single bit of it.

No comments: